– Let’s Talk About Loneliness:
a Conversation with Julia Bainbridge, Host of The Lonely Hour –
Let’s talk about loneliness… Yes, that’s right. This is an extremely important subject for me, firstly because I suffer from it quite a lot at times myself, and also because psychologists claim that loneliness will be our next big public health issue. Loneliness is increasing, with more and more people experiencing it in some form or other in their lives today.
We have seen in recent years some dramatic changes in technology, the way we work and in our communities, changes that have transformed our ultra-social species into a population of loners.
Despite the fact that we can now be connected with anyone from anywhere in the world in a way that would have seemed impossible only a short time ago, and have more possibilities than ever before to travel and go abroad quickly and easily, we are currently living in the age of loneliness.
No, I am not trying to bring the party down here, but the importance of becoming aware of this issue, is important, or as Julia Bainbridge puts it – urgent.
In this episode of The Inner Picture Stories podcast I sit down with Julia, host of the podcast The Lonely Hour, to talk about loneliness and The Lonely Hour which tackles and explores deeper issues surrounding and pertaining to loneliness and aloneness.
It is a truly beautiful podcast which has helped me find a better sense of my own feelings. I am truly grateful to Julia for getting up the courage to create a podcast around the often ignored, but so important subjects of loneliness and aloneness, and I highly recommend anyone who is looking for some greater truth and understanding on those subjects to go and check her podcast out.
Of course, before you do rush off, don’t miss the great conversation we had in this interview.
Here are a few of the questions and things we touch upon:
how Julia personally defines the feeling of loneliness; how being alone and feeling lonely are not the same; some of the issues that are unique to women and men in terms of where loneliness comes from; what she has discovered about loneliness through her podcast The Lonely Hour; if she had to thank loneliness for something, what would she thank it for…
I could keep going but that would spoil the rest of our conversation. So, I won’t delay you from hitting that play button any longer, please enjoy this interview with Julia Bainbridge, host of The Lonely Hour.
EP 007 – Let’s Talk About Loneliness:
a Conversation with Julia Bainbridge, Host of The Lonely Hour
Some of the Questions I Ask:
- – Why did you create The Lonely Hour?
- – How would you personally define the feeling of loneliness?
- – What is something new you have discovered about loneliness through your podcast The Lonely Hour?
- – What harmful things did you used to do, or still do when you feel lonely?
What You Will Learn from this Episode:
- – How aloneness and loneliness are not the same.
- – Some of the issues that are unique to women and men in terms of where loneliness comes from.
- – Reasons why loneliness is increasing so much, and what we humans really need.
- – The beautiful aspects loneliness brings.
Did you enjoy this episode?
Let us know your thoughts in the comment section below.
Your Voice Matters!
Latest posts by Jellis Vaes (see all)
- Tribe: On Homecoming and Belonging - April 21, 2019
- Kalina Silverman, How to Have Better Conversations – Skip the Small Talk - April 13, 2019
- The Wisdom of Insecurity: A Message for an Age of Anxiety - March 11, 2019