– More than Honey –
Oscar-nominated director Markus Imhoof (THE BOAT IS FULL) tackles the vexing issue of why bees, worldwide, are facing extinction. From California to Switzerland, China and Australia, Imhoof investigates this global phenomenon. Exquisite macro-photography of the bees nn flight and in their hives reveals a fascinating, complex world in crisis. Narrated by John Hurt.
Who should watch this documentary?
- – Anyone looking to learn more about the fascinating little insect the bee
- – Nature fans looking for a great and insightful documentary
- – Anyone wondering about the “mystery” of why bees are dying out all over the world
From Markus Imhoof (the director of the Academy Award nominated film THE BOAT IS FULL) tackles the vexing issue of why bees, worldwide, are facing extinction. With the tenacity of a man out to solve a world-class mystery, he investigates this global phenomenon, from California to Switzerland, China and Australia.
Exquisite macro-photography of the bees (reminiscent of MICROCOSMOS) in flight and in their hives reveals a fascinating, complex world in crisis. Writes Eric Kohn in Indiewire: ”Imhoof captures the breeding of queen bees in minute detail, ventures to a laboratory to witness a bee brainscan, and discovers the dangerous prospects of a hive facing the infection of mites.
In this latter case, the camera’s magnifying power renders the infection in sci-fi terms, as if we’ve stumbled into a discarded scene from David Cronenberg’s THE FLY.” This is a strange and strangely moving film that raises questions of species survival in cosmic as well as apiary terms.
He began his career as a documentary maker, focusing on controversial issues. His 1968 film Rondo was a critical look at the prison system in Switzerland. The film was banned until 1975. His next picture, Ormenis 199+69 (1969) also met with censorship, as it examined the role and treatment of horses in the cavalry and suggested that the unit ought to be disbanded.
Imhoof was forced to make some edits before the film could be screened in public, removing scenes that military veterans found objectionable. Only in 2002 did the film became available in uncensored form. Volksmund – oder man ist was man isst(Vernacular – One Is What One Eats) (1972) was a documentary critical of consumption in society.
Later in his career Imhoof began directing regular narrative films as well. His film Das Boot ist voll (The Boat Is Full) (1980) received international acclaim for showing the downside of Switzerland’s neutral politics during World War II. The film depicted a group of Jewish refugees in 1942 being forced to return to Nazi Germany on order of the Swiss government and thus meeting their deaths in the concentration camps.
At the time it was the first Swiss film to deal with this controversial topic. Imhoof’s next film, Die Reise (The Journey) (1986) examined Baader-Meinhof’s terrorism. Der Berg (The Mountain) (1990) was a psycholoical study of three people stranded on top of a mountain with only enough food for three of them to survive. Flammen im Paradies (Fire in Paradise) (1997) is also a psychological study, this time depicting a young man promised in marriage who switches places with a woman bound for India
Did you knows about insects:
- – A hive of bees will fly 90,000 miles, the equivalent of three orbits around the earth to collect 1 kg of honey.
- – Insects do not breathe through their mouths. They inhale oxygen and exhale carbon dioxide via holes called spiracles in their exoskeletons.
- – Scientists estimate that insects make up to 90% of all species of animals on the planet and more than half of all living things. They can be found in almost every habitat, from snowy mountain peaks to scorching deserts and they have been around for more than 400 million years, longer than dinosaurs and flowering plants
Want to read more did you knows about the ocean? Click here.
Did you enjoy watching this documentary?
Let us know in the comments section below.
Your voice matters!
Latest posts by Jellis Vaes (see all)
- The 5 Love Languages: The Secret to Love that Lasts - April 30, 2019
- Within the Mind of a Warrior: Rich Hungerford, Former SAS Patrol Commander - April 25, 2019
- The Warrior Ethos - April 24, 2019