– Richard Ayling on How to Become Superhuman, Master the Mind & Body, and Influence the Autonomic Nervous System –
How to become superhuman… Hold on a minute. What does that even mean? Are we talking about some kind of product here? Or maybe witchcraft? Or wait, possibly… magic?
While I understand there might be some kind of skepticism around the title and the topic of the interview, the method that is being talked about – The Wim Hof Method – is a scientifically proven method that works for real and has nothing to do with a particular product, witchcraft, or magic.
The benefits of practicing it are almost immediate, and yes, joking aside, over time, it can make you seem superhuman to others. Best of all, it doesn’t require you to buy anything at all.
So, what is this method? Who is Wim Hof? And who is our guest on the show here, Rich Ayling?
In his own words, “perhaps the most powerful moment on my journey came with the discovery of the Wim Hof Method, where my ability to take control of my entire health and wellbeing was realized.” Something which he found out about through the fascinating interview of Wim Hof on the Tim Ferriss Show.
Wim Hof, also known as the Iceman, is a Dutch daredevil currently holding a whopping 26 world records.
While this interview does not focus on Wim Hof’s life but more around the method he founded, if this topic sparks any curiosity in you, I highly recommend that you check out the VICE Documentary about Wim Hof.
As Rich mentions throughout the interview, it is quite fascinating and inspiring.
Rich became one of the first international Wim Hof instructors, whereafter he founded Re-Align Coaching.
He specializes in mindset, movement, breathwork, and flow.
While we dive deep into the Wim Hof Method throughout the interview, how it works, why it works, and what it does to the body, the method itself isn’t anything complex, consisting of a breathing technique and cold therapy.
Now, as simple as that sounds, and as much as many might think that it can’t possibly be so easy to heal ourselves through something like that, the depth and benefits of the method go far and beyond.
The breathing technique has been scientifically shown to: strengthen the vagus nerve, improve the immune system, alkalize blood, increase the efficiency of O2 use, increase energy production, control the nervous system, enhance athletic performance & recovery, and a whole lot more.
Whereas cold therapy has scientifically been shown to: improve the immune system, activate brown fat, improve sleep, improve mood, increase metabolism, increase creativity, decrease inflammation, and again, a whole lot more. All of these benefits Rich will touch upon throughout the interview.
Gradually, through the years, we have been made to believe that modern medicines are the only option for us when we feel sick. Slowly, we have forgotten our own inner human abilities.
We spend an awful lot of money on medicines and drugs, while we hold the great potential to heal within ourselves. All medicines? No, I am not saying medications do not have their functions and roles, but they are most definitely overused. We rely too much on them and grab for them too quickly, forgetting and weakening our own inner capabilities. Medicines are not always the best solution, and in fact, many times do more harm than good.
All modern medication has side effects. Antibiotics have been found to cause immune system damage and reduce brain cell growth. Painkillers have been shown to increase the likelihood of a heart attack. Sleeping pills have been shown to increase the risk of cancer and early death. And anti-depressants cause decreased sex drive, anxiety, sleeping problems, and headaches.
This is just to name a few of the many drugs we have out there. It’s a circle you can quickly get stuck in, where it fixes one thing but destroys another. In the end, medication is not a long-term solution.
Maybe it’s time we start listening once again to our body, and dig within its resources and abilities instead of reaching too fast for that painkiller.
This most fascinating interview with Rich introduces you to a method that could resolve most of your medication needs and change your life in the most astounding way – a way that has, once again, been proven by science to work.
Additionally, Rich talks beautifully about some very insightful and wisdom-filled topics throughout the interview. The work he does as a life coach is phenomenal and this flows out in our talk. If you ever get the chance to meet him or join one of his workshops or retreats, I can only recommend it strongly.
Now, please enjoy this interview with Richard Ayling on how to become superhuman.
EP 011 – Richard Ayling on How to Become Superhuman, Master the Mind & Body, and Influence the Autonomic Nervous System
Subscribe and listen to The Inner Picture Stories Podcast on your favorite platform!
Some of the Questions I Ask:
- – Who Wim Hof (aka The Iceman) is and what the Wim Hof Method consists of
- – How the Wim Hof Method Works
- – The immeasurable power the mind holds
- – A controlled breathing technique with numerous benefits
- – Why cold exposure is right, the benefits of it, and how it strengthens the immune system
What You Will Learn from this Episode:
- – How can one influence the autonomic nervous system by practicing the Wim Hof Method?
- – What were some of the insights, eye-openers, or lessons you learned during your training to become a Wim Hof instructor?
- – As a life coach, what else besides the Wim Hof Method has changed your life that you teach people you work with?
- – How would you change someone’s mind and convince them to expose themselves to the cold and not see it as something wrong?
- – What is a misconception you feel many people have about you?
- – Wim Hof Method 10-Week Video Course
- – Wim Hof Method – Free 3 Part Video Miniclass
- – The Science behind the Wim Hof Method
- – Inside the Superhuman World of the Iceman (Vice Documentary)
- – Addiction to Technology is Ruining Lives – Simon Sinek on Inside Quest
- – The 4-Hour Workweek: Escape 9-5, Live Anywhere, and Join the New Rich
- – Autonomic Nervous System (Wikipedia)
- – Inflammation (Wikipedia)
You may also like these episodes:
Question about this episode: What are your thoughts about our use of medication and our bodies’ self-healing abilities?
Did you enjoy this episode?
Let us know your thoughts in the comment section below.
Your Voice Matters!
Latest posts by Jellis Vaes (see all)
- The 5 Love Languages: The Secret to Love that Lasts - April 30, 2019
- Within the Mind of a Warrior: Rich Hungerford, Former SAS Patrol Commander - April 25, 2019
- The Warrior Ethos - April 24, 2019