– Within the Mind of a Warrior:
Rich Hungerford, Former SAS Patrol Commander –
The world is full of legends, heroes… warriors.
While the word “warrior” might sound intimidating, there is a deeper meaning and philosophy behind this word than many realize.
Being a warrior doesn’t mean that you have to be engaged in warfare as your profession. Being a warrior is something you are. It originates within your spirit, not in your profession. There are warriors in all walks of life, and being one is not defined by your age, gender, how you look, or what you do.
You may be a businessman/businesswoman, a teacher, a doctor, or an electrician… and still be a warrior.
Warriors are those who step up and fight evil when they must. Being a warrior is who you are inside. It’s someone who has this protective tendency or mindset to serve and protect other people or other things—the environment, animals, etc.—for the greater good.
Our guest for this interview, Rich Hungerford, embodies these words and is a true example of what it means to be a warrior.
Rich is a former SAS Patrol Commander (the SAS is one of the toughest, most psychologically and physically demanding branch of special forces in the Australian Army).
Today, Rich is the senior instructor at Bush Lore Australia, the survival school he founded. He is also the founder of The Warrior’s Path Academy, an academy that assists, guides, and mentors men who are seeking to realign themselves with their ancestral sense of ‘place’ within their family, community, and work lives.
This is a diverse interview that covers some important and fascinating grounds with many lessons and takeaways about fear, mindset, nature, what it means to be a warrior, and so much more.
For the ones who feel called—yes, you who are reading this—you have come to the right place, the right interview. Take a look inside the mind of a warrior, Rich Hungerford, to learn some deep truths.
“We make ourselves into whatever we want to be in this world. We choose to be a warrior, or we choose to walk through life like the average person. But make no doubt about it – YOU make the choice.”
– Don Juan
If you want to read and learn more about the traits, mindset, and the deeper thought and philosophy behind what it means to be a warrior, here are two more great books:
EP 017 – Within the Mind of a Warrior:
Rich Hungerford, Former SAS Patrol Commander
Subscribe and listen to The Inner Picture Stories Podcast on your favorite platform!
Some of the Questions:
- – Could you briefly tell us how the selection procedure looks like to become an SAS soldier? And why do 90% of candidates fail?
- – What is something you’ve learned about fear, something about fear that you feel not many people understand?
- – What do you feel many people in general get wrong about the word “warrior”?
- – How has nature changed you as a person, once you became aware of it?
What You Will Learn from this Episode:
- – The deeper meaning and philosophy of what being a true warrior is
- – A survival breathing technique that lowers your heart rate
- – The 90/10 Principle, a principle that can greatly benefit your life
- – How important it is for humans to work together and spend time in nature
- – Udemy, Rich P Hungerford Survival, Tracking and Combatives Instuctor
- – Tribe: On Homecoming and Belonging: Sebastian Junger
- – Way of the Peaceful Warrior: A Book That Changes Lives by Dan Millman
- – The Art Of War by
- – Deep Survival: Who Lives, Who Dies, and Why by
- – The Warrior’s Path Academy – Website
- – The Warrior’s Path Academy – Facebook
- – Bush Lore Australia – Website
- – Bush Lore Australia – Facebook
- – Bush Lore Australia– YouTube Channel
- – Hear the call of the wild | Rich Hungerford | TEDxDocklands
You may also like these episodes:
Question about this episode: Which lesson from out of the interview struck you most and why?
Did you enjoy this episode?
Let us know your thoughts in the comment section below.
Your Voice Matters!
- Learn from Various Experts How to Handle Distressing Times (COVID-19) - May 19, 2020
- How to Rewire Your Brain to Be Happy | Dr. Rick Hanson, Ph.D. | The Science of Happiness - April 28, 2020
- Creating a Balanced Life Using the Wheel of Life - February 7, 2020